It's Elementary

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Tacky the Penguin

During the last few weeks we have been learning about winter and polar animals.  I have not as yet posted all our polar animal activities, but they are coming.  One of the books I read to the kids was Tacky the Penguin.

 

My grandkids LOVED this book, and I caught The Director even reading it when I was getting other projects ready. I “catch” him reading all the time now.  When I bring new books over for the week, he is always reading them while I get ready to start our day.  Although he has always, and I mean always (since birth) been fascinated with print, he has really taken off this year in reading.  I thank Ready 2 Read for this.  It warms my heart to see this.

IMG_2706

I decided to do an art project that I first saw on a kindergarten blog.  You can see the original here.  She even provides a pattern for Tacky.  I cut out a few of the Tacky bodies, and used some of my scrapbook paper that I have had for years for the shirts and ties.  I cut a couple of each pattern just in case they wanted to do the same one which they didn’t.  So first they added the shirt.

IMG_2711

IMG_2712

Then, they picked a tie.  Sweet Pea picked pink of course.

IMG_2713

The Director got adventurous with his choice of prints.

IMG_2714

Next the eyes.

IMG_2716

IMG_2717

Now add the beak (or bill).

IMG_2718

And the feet and flippers.

IMG_2721

IMG_2722

Since I had extras of everything they each made two.  These are Sweet Peas.

IMG_2725

These are The Director’s.  I didn’t notice until taking the picture that they are almost exactly the same except one Tacky has green eyes.

IMG_2726

This was a great project and they really enjoyed it.  We read a couple more of Tacky’s adventures in the days following this project. 

                 

Thanks for stopping by.

Sharing Here:

image

2 comments:

Shonda said...

Very cute! I love Tacky the Penguin.

Michelle said...

These are so cute, I will have to look for these books at the library. I think the girls would love them. Thank you for sharing and linking up to stART!
~Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...